Unity BN126 36ft Gostelow built 1906
‘Unity of Lynn’ is one of three smacks built for fishing out of Kings Lynn; the ‘Providence’, ‘Perseverance’ and ‘Unity’ and was fished up to the mid 1960s. She was restored to her original condition retaining her planked fish hole and cuddy forward by Tony Winter and is the only Lynn shrimper still sailing.
West Mersea Town Regatta 1930. Smacks from left: UNITY, KINGFISHER (far background), MN40 (foreground), two Maldon smacks, BOADICEA CK213 (extreme right). Douglas Went photograph Used in Gaff Rig, page 124. Used in Smacks and Bawleys page 118. Used in The Sailors’s Coast page 49. MN40 was the registration for FASHION from 1923 to 1938 and owned by Ted Pitt. Before 1923 she was registered as CK428. In 1938 she was reregistered as LO208.
William Wyatt, the West Mersea boatbuilder, stands against the legged up West Mersea smack UNITY 197CK. The UNITY was perhaps the fastest of the West Mersea smacks of her time. She ended as a hulk on Foulness Island in the 1940s.
Brightlingsea owned ketch barge BRITANNIC unloading coal at West Mersea, with oyster smack UNITY ahead of her. She was built at Southtown Suffolk in 1891
This photograph is included on postcard PG2_235 mailed 8 August 1924.
This picture was used in The Big Barges, P80.
Smack UNITY – 197CK, before the War. She was owned by the French brothers but always sailed by Bill Wyatt.
WMTR smack race. L-R 393CK MERSEA LASS, 159CK DOROTHY, CK197 UNITY and CK375 WENONAH. French.