Built in 1876, the ‘Maud’ was sold in 1928 to a fisherman at Mersea, who worked ther until approx. 1960 when he retired. As tradition goes it is believed that because the fisherman retired the boat that he worked retired as well. Her original fishing no. was CK78, she later she took the no. MN21.
In the 1960s, the ‘Maud’ was laid up on the hard at West Mersea and allowed to deteriorate over a number of years. However, around 1965 Mr. Cecil Stebbens, a boatyard owner at Heybridge Basin, Maldon, Essex, bought her in a ‘sunk’ condition and brought her to Heybridge Basin. He worked on her for about five years to bring her to seaworthy condition, and then went on to win a great many races. The owner who purchased the ‘Maud’ in April 1976 converted her for cruising and racing purposes.
In 2008, she was for sale again, and taken to the Netherlands.