George & Alice CK76 42ft Aldous built 1909

She’s a fishing vessel of timber carvel construction, from 1909 to 1939 she was commercial oyster dredging, stowboating and inshore trawling under sail from Brightlingsea.

After the second world war she was sold to Malcolm Macgregor and then in 1991 to Colin Shepheard who took her to his workshop in South Devon and fully restored her to her original build. Later, in 1996 she returned to Brightlingsea under new ownership. Sadly, the owner passed away and was sold to her current owners.

As of November 2018, GEORGE & ALICE is moored at Rye, Sussex.

Oyster smacks at Mersea. Smacks are 36CK ELECTRON, 76CK GEORGE & ALICE (G&A). Laid up steamer SILVERPINE is at extreme left.
Douglas Went photograph
Used in The Sailor’s Coast page 32. credit to Mersea Museum.