ADC CK431 45ft Aldous built 1890

Dick Harman on the helm – photo credit to Joe Harman

ADC fished with the Barbrook fleet out of Tollesbury from 1895 to the 1930s. The Barbrooks had a large fleet of smacks but ADC, named after Ada, Dick and Charlie, was their favourite. She was renowned for her speed.

She is now in St Osyth after a long rest but will be up and sailing again this summer.

  • 1890 Built in Brightlingsea
  • 1895-1930s Fished out of Tollesbury
  • 1980s Vessel re-rigged
  • 1997-2001 Vessel re-built
Oyster Smack A.D.C. CK431.
She was built by Aldous at Brightlingsea in 1890 and in 1897 was owned by William Joseph Barbrook and William Joseph Barbrook Jnr. of Tollesbury. [Colne Shipbuilders]
Framed photograph donated to Mersea Museum, Accession No. 2015-08-001.
launch day after rebuild in 2000
launch day after rebuild in 2000
launch day after rebuild in 2000
Dick Harman on the helm – photo credit to Joe Harman
Tollesbury – CK104 BLUEBELL, CK431 ADC, ?, CK200 SHAMROCK. Credit to Mersea Museum