Pembeth F7 is a 47ft Aldous smack built in 1912.
Colne Match results;
- 2013 Last smack home Vernon Scott Trophy
She was commandeered by the Fourth Horse Artillery during the WW1 as a lighter for hay to feed the horses at London Barracks. Named ‘ Clyde’ after one of the renowned drum horses; her reliability earned her the title. After WW1, she began her career as an oyster smack at Faversham, still with the name ‘Clyde’; she worked for Warren and Herman of Whitstable delivering oysters from the fishing fleet to Billingsgate. She also fished in her own right towing a dredge. During WW2, she was commissioned by the War Department working under sail. She was possibly captured by the Germans after which she was found abandoned in the Channel and recovered by French fisherman off the Brittany/Normandy coast, repaired and returned to the UK. Later restoration work revealed evidence of work by French shipwrights. After WW2, she was purchased by the family of Michael Coe who changed her name to ‘Pembeth of Clyde’, ‘Pembeth’ being the initials of his children.
This vessel is a survivor from the First World War. You can read more about her wartime history by visiting our First World War: Britain’s Surviving Vessels website www.ww1britainssurvivingvessels.org.uk.